The University of North Carolina Herbarium has
only a handful of specimens collected by George Whipple Hubbard. As more of NCU’s collection is catalogued,
it is possible that more will be found.
All are signed “Dr. G. W. Hubbard,” all are from the vicinity of
Nashville, Tennessee, and all are dated 1877.
Image courtesy of the Archives
Department of Meharry Medical College Library
VDB (now at BRIT) holds a significant number of
Hubbard’s specimens, though as VDB is not yet completely databased,
curators are uncertain of the exact number.
NY holds a few Hubbard specimens.
A search of F, MO and US did not reveal any specimens, but as few
herbaria are completely databased, those herbaria
may hold specimens that are not yet catalogued. According to Meharry
Medical College Library Archivist Christyne M.
Douglas, the medical school does not still hold any of Dr. Hubbard’s
courtesy of the Academic Affairs Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel
Jay S. (1922)
Methodist Adventures in Negro Education. The Methodist Book Concern,
Accessed on 27 June 2011
"George Whipple Hubbard," Tennessee
Encyclopedia of History and Culture, 2011, Tennessee Encyclopedia of
History and Culture. 27 Jun 2011 <http://www.tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=666>
Founder and first president of Meharry Medical College George W. Hubbard was born on August 11, 1841, in North Charlestown on the
Connecticut River in New Hampshire. His paternal grandfather, David Hubbard,
had been among the first settlers of the older village, Charlestown, and his
maternal grandfather had been one of the founders of Crydon,
George Hubbard was educated in North Charlestown public schools until the age
of seventeen, when he enrolled in Pomfret Academy
in Pomfret, Vermont. He later continued his
education at the New Hampshire Conference Seminary at Sanbornton Bridge and
the Scientific and Literary Institute in New London, New Hampshire. His first
employment was as a teacher in the Calumet School in Charlestown.
In 1864 Hubbard volunteered to serve as a delegate and missionary chaplain of
the U.S. Christian Commission. He served six weeks in the Army of the Potomac
near Confederate lines in Virginia, then moved south
to serve as military chaplain with General William T. Sherman's army, then
besieging Atlanta. Arriving in Nashville in August 1864, Hubbard discovered
that the forces of General Nathan B. Forrest had destroyed the railroad between
Nashville and Chattanooga. While he waited for repairs to the railroad,
Hubbard took a temporary assignment as a teacher in a school conducted in
Nelson Merry's Baptist Church, the first African
American Church in Nashville. His assignment was extended for an entire year.
In July 1865 Hubbard was invited to teach soldiers in the 110th United States
Colored Troops stationed in Gallatin. He joined the soldiers and in October
went with the regiment to Huntsville, Alabama, where he remained until the
unit was mustered out of the service in February 1866.
During the autumn and winter of 1866, Hubbard taught
school in Clinton, Kansas, then returned to
Nashville, where he taught school for the Freedmen's Aid Society of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Later that year, he was elected principal of
Bellevue public school in a western Davidson County farming community. He
held that position for seven years. In 1875 Hubbard enrolled at the
University of Tennessee and graduated the following year. He then enrolled at
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, from which he received his degree
as a medical doctor in 1879.
In October 1876 Hubbard worked under the direction of
Dr. John W. Braden, assisted by Dr. W. J. Sneed, a Confederate veteran, to
open the Meharry Medical Department of Central
Tennessee College. Initially the college enrolled fewer than a dozen
students. In 1886 the dental department opened at Meharry,
followed by a pharmaceutical department in 1889. With the closing of Central
Tennessee College, Meharry Medical College emerged
as an independent medical-training institution, of which Hubbard served as
president for forty-five years. Upon his retirement in February 1921, Hubbard
became the first president emeritus of the college. Meharry's
students and alumnae presented Dr. and Mrs. Hubbard (nee Annie Lyons) a
residence on the South Nashville campus of Meharry
Medical College. At that time the Hubbards had been
married almost fifty-two years.
The January-March 1921 issue of the Journal of the National Medical Association
published a tribute to Hubbard, noting that his "remarkable genius and
devotion made successful practitioners, good citizens, and useful men of the
early graduates of Meharry. . . . Dr. Hubbard has laid a substantial foundation for
a great institution, an institution whose worth and influence will gather
momentum with passing years."
Hubbard died August 8, 1924, and was buried beside his wife in Nashville's
Greenwood Cemetery. His Nashville home is listed on the National Register of
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT Dr. G. W. Hubbard:
College, Meherry, Medical, Dental and
Pharmaceutical Departments. Catalogue
of 1893-94, Announcement for 1894-95.
Marshall & Bruce Co., Stationers and Printers, Nashville,
Smith, T. Manuel (1953) The pioneering influence of Dr. George W. Hubbard on
medical education. Journal of the
National Medical Association 45(6):