Liriodendron tulipifera flower

The University of North Carolina
Herbarium
A Department of the North Carolina Botanical Garden

 
 

 

Collectors of the UNC Herbarium
Information compiled by Carol Ann McCormick,
Curator of the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill Herbarium
A photograph of A. F. K. Krout would be appreciated.  Please contact mccormickATSIGNunc.edu


Abraham F. K. Krout
(2 February 1843 –  31 December 1914)1,2,3

 

The University of North Carolina Herbarium has found a single specimen collected by A. F. K. Krout, an Obolaria virginica collected on Haycock Mountain (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) in 1868. It is signed, rather illegibly, “A. F. K. Krout.”  As mentioned in John Harshberger’s bio (below), most of Krout’s specimens are held by the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University (PH).  Other herbaria which curate Krout’s specimens include:  Carnegie Museum of Natural History (CM), Clemson University (CLEMS), Field Museum (F), New York Botanical Garden (NY), University of New Mexico (UNM).  The exact disposition of the Lafayette College (Easton, PA) herbarium, which also held many of Krout’s specimens, is unclear.

A. F. K. Krout was born in the village of Line Lexington, in New Britain Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, February 2, 1843.

He was educated in the public schools of Bucks County, and received his Academic Training at the North Wales Institute, in Montgomery County.

His principal work has been teaching. He first taught in the public schools of Bucks County, after which he held the position of Supervising Principal of the following borough schools in Pennsylvania:  Coplay, Lehigh County; Emlenton, Venango County; Lehighton, Carbon County; Wyoming, Luzerne County.

In June, 1883, he gave up teaching to become the Corporation Accountant and Cashier for the Coplay Iron Company, a corporation owned principally and controlled by Mr. E. P. Wilbur, former president of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company.  This position he held for five years, after which he resumed his professional work in the borough of Emlenton.  In 1876 he appeared before the state Board of Examiners for the Normal Schools, passed the examination successfully, and became an authorized teacher of didactics.

He became a resident of Philadelphia in 1892, when he took charge of the Business Departments of Temple College, Broad and Berks Streets, and of the Union College of Business, Broad and Market Streets.

He found much pleasure in pursuing a course of general studies in science and language, and in 1877 Franklin and Marshall College recognized his industry as a student, and conferred on him the degree of Master of Arts.

Having the confidence of the people at his permanent home in Coplay, he was frequent called upon to fill positions of honor and responsibility. He was the first commissioned Magistrate when that time became a borough, which office he held from 1869 to 1890. He was Secretary of Town Council for 13 years and school director five years.

The judges of the courts frequently appointed him to serve on road juries and commissions, and there are few townships in Lehigh County in which he was not called to execute these appointments.

His favorite study since 1869 has been botany. When not in the classroom he has been out in the fields. When he came to Philadelphia he prepared himself further in botany, by taking, for three years, the special course for teachers in botany and zoology at the University of Pennsylvania. The work done in the botanical line may here be mentioned:

1. “The Flora of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania,” in conjunction with Dr. William Herbst, the eminent mycologist, who is still a resident of the County.  The greater part of Lehigh collection is deposited in the Herbarium of the Philadelphia Botanical Club at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.

2. “The Grasses of Philadelphia,” 1898.  These were contributed to Dr. Thomas C. Porter’s Pennsylvania Herbarium at Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania.

3. “The cataloguing of the Bartonian Collection when deposited with the Academy of Natural Sciences by the Philosophical Society in 1897.” This collection contains the plants collected by Pursh on his memorable trips from Philadelphia to the high mountains of North Carolina, and into the Great Lakes and the White Mountains, in 1806 and 1807.

Professor Krout is a member of the Biological Society and the Pennsylvania Botanical Society at the University.  At the Academy of Natural Sciences he is a member of the Botanical Section, Microscopical and Biological Sections, Philadelphia Botanical Club, the Pennsylvania Mycological Society, and is now President of the Philadelphia Moss Chapter. 1
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Abraham F. K. Krout was married to Mary Catharine Moyer Krout (1842-1921), and they had four children:  Mabel Olivia Krout (b. 25 December 1871); Jacob Henry Krout (b. 16 May 1874 – d. 16 December 1918); Clarence A. Krout (b. 3 May 1883 – d. 12 September 1883); and Helen Rachel Krout (b. 5 November 1885).3,4,5  Abraham F. K. Krout is buried in Arlington Cemetery, Drexel Hill, Delaware County, Pennsylvania.3

 

SOURCES:
1. Harshberger, John W. 1899.  The Botanists of Philadelphia and Their Work Philadelphia:  T.C. Davis & Sons.
2.  Harvard University Herbaria database of botanists.  Accessed on 14 November 2016.  http://kiki.huh.harvard.edu/databases/botanist_search.php?mode=details&id=33573
3.  Find a Grave.
Find A Grave Memorial# 113700263, accessed on 14 November 2016.  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Krout&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=113700263& 
4.  The Pennsylvania – German Society, Philadelphia October 8, 1919.  Volume XXX:  29.  Published by The Society 1924. 
5.  http://www.landofthebuckeye.net/p1295.htm#i67808  accessed on 14 November 2016. 

 


 

 

University of North Carolina Chapel Hill Herbarium
CB# 3280, Coker Hall
South Road
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3280
phone: (919) 962-6931
email: mccormickATSIGNunc.edu
  

Last Updated: 14 November 2016