NCU has cataloged about 40 fungi collected by
Lee Shanor, and as our macrofungal
collection continues to be cataloged additional specimens collected by him will be found.
In North Carolina Shanor frequently
collected in Chapel Hill, Orange County and Highlands, Macon County. Other
herbaria that hold specimens collected by Shanor
include the Farlow Herbarium at Harvard University
in Cambridge, Massachusetts (FH), Illinois Natural History Survey in Champaign (ILLS), the
New York Botanical Garden in Bronx (NY), The United States National Fungus
Collections in Beltsville, Maryland (BPI), the University of Illinois in
Urbana (ILL), and the University of Tennessee in Knoxville(TENN).
A catalog of NCU fungi, including those
collected by Lee Shanor, can be found at mycoportal.org
Dr. Shanor’s spouse,
Mary Williams Ward Shanor, was also a mycologist who deposited specimens at NCU.
Excerpts from Kimbrough, James
W. (1995) Leland Shanor,
87(5): 745-748. Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3760822
Mycologists and other friends in biology,
botany, and educational circles were saddened to learn of Leland Shanor’s death on March 31, 1993, at his home in
Gainesville, Florida [United States of America]. In 1985 he had retired
as professor and former chairman of the Botany Department at the University
of Florida after a career filled with rich and varied activities.
Lee Shanor was born
in Butler, Pennsylvania [U.S.A.] on July 21, 1914, where he grew up and
received his early education. He entered Maryville College in the
foothills of the Tennessee Smokies where he
received his A.B. degree in 1935…He then entered the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill where he received his M.A. degree in 1937 and his
Ph.D. in 1939. While at [UNC-CH], he was an assistant and teaching
fellow in Botany. Under the leadership of W. C. Coker and J. N. Couch he acquired
a long and abiding interest in mycology, especially the aquatic fungi.
It was there that he met Mary Williams Ward, whom he married on June 20, 1940
in Burgaw, North Carolina. While in Chapel Hill, he busied himself
outside the classroom with running a men’s boarding house and the acquisition
of property, the first of many real estate ventures throughout his
After graduation, Lee became Instructor of
Botany at Clemson College in South Carolina [U.S.A.] and the following year
Instructor of Botany at the University of Illinois in Urbana [U.S.A.].
After a leave of absence from 1943 to 1946 during World War II, he rejoined
the faculty at the University of Illinois as Assistant Professor. He
remained mycologically active throughout the war years,
serving as Plant Pathologist of the Emergency Plant Disease Project in
Beltsville, as Research Mycologist for the George Washington University
Tropical Deterioration Project, and Research Associate for the University of
Pennsylvania Johnson Foundation project in the Panama Canal Zone. A
number of publications resulted from his research on tropical deterioration
and fungal-proofing of textiles. After returning to the University of
Illinois, he rose to the rank of Professor and in 1951 became Curator of the
As a graduate student at the University of
North Carolina, Lee became very supportive of
Highlands Biological Station at Highlands, North Carolina, where in 1937 he
received a fellowship to work in their laboratory. In 1939 he became
Director of the Highlands Museum of Natural History and in 1956 was elected
to the Board of Trustees of Highlands Biological Station, where he served
until his retirement in 1985.
A marked change occurred in Lee’s career when
he departed the University of Illinois in 1956 and joined the faculty of
Florida State University in Tallahassee as Professor of Botany and Chairman
of Biological Sciences. Much more of his time was devoted to
administration and less to research and graduate student supervision.
While at Florida State he became Dean of the Division of Advanced Studies in
the Florida Institute of Continuing Studies and Division Director of
[National Science Foundation’s] Division of Undergraduate Studies. In
1965 the Shanors moved across state to Gainesville
where Lee became Professor of Botany and Chairman of the Botany Department at
the University of Florida.
Leland Shanor is buried near his wife, Mary Williams Ward Shanor, in Rockfish
Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Wallace, Duplin County, North Carolina.2
for a complete list of Leland Shanor’s
1. Kimbrough, James W. (1995) Leland Shanor, 1914-1993. Mycologia 87(5):
2. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=103910381 accessed on 15 January 2014.